... and I've tried to make it a little difficult. Or at least to rig it up so that not too many people could possibly get a LARGE chunk of these.
Of course, it is easier if you are, like me, a filthy Google cheater. So let's make it interesting. If you cheat, G-d will smite a kitten. And a baby pony. That should discourage your wicked ways.
So, name the artist and the song. If there's a popular cover of the song, name the ORIGINAL artist. If it's a traditional song, say so. Some artists may appear twice; most will never appear at all. (Mua-ha!)
1. The monk bought lunch.
The Doors - "The Soft Parade" - piratehead
2. Tonight I'm tangled in my blanket of clouds, dreaming aloud.
Foo Fighters - "Walking After You" - defensor
a. I am the trigger. I choose my final way. Whether I bloom or fall is up to me.
b. Rosier ai shita kimi ni wa rosier chikazukenai.
Luna Sea - "Rosier" - robotazalea
4. There is a love that's inherently given - a kind of blindness offered to appease.
Sarah McLachlan - "Wait" - abbeyrd
5. When the world was the street where she lived, and a young man sailed on a ship in the sea...
Elvis Costello - "Veronica" - ragdoll
a. Tears drown in the wake of delight.
b. Time is like a broken watch.
Interpol - "Take You on a Cruise" - verian
7. Evil is an exact science - being carefully correctly wrong.
Shriekback - "Nemesis" - lilactime
8. Its news is captured for the queen to use.
Yes - "I've Seen All Good People" - trystbat
9. I fear the crazed and lonely looks the mirror's sending me these days.
A-ha - "The Sun Always Shines on TV" - kateherself
10. My luck's like a button - I can't stop pushing it!
General Public - "Tenderness" - ragdoll
11. Black chariot for the redhead dancing girl.
Tori Amos - "Mother" - star_power
a. Then she turned homeward with one star awake, like the swan in the evening moves over the lake.
b. This she did say, It will not be long, love, till our wedding day.
Traditional - "She Moved Through The Fair" - verian
a. In the attic with the stars, I read your letters to feel better....
b. What is it you want? What is it you want to change?
Smashing Pumpkins - "I of the Mourning" - verian
a. It's an Assisi lie!
b. I understand the fascination, the dream that comes alive at night.
Placebo - "Commercial for Levi" - verian
15. I've asked myself - how much do you commit yourself?
Talk Talk (NOT No Doubt) - "It's My Life" - ayun
(I like the No Doubt cover OK, but the original is a classic.)
16. Incantation with magic black, and silver buttons all down her back.
Book of Love - "Witchcraft" - grrwoo
17. I still haven't got over it even now. I want to spend huge amounts of time on my own.
Everything But The Girl - "Rollercoaster" - beatnikside
18. Although I ended up with sore lips, it just wasn't like the old days anymore....
The Smiths - "Still Ill" - beatnikside
19. How old are you, my pretty fair maid? How old are you, my honey?
Traditional - "Seventeen Come Sunday" - aranel
a. Was ich kann und was ich konnte, weiss ich gar nicht mehr.
b. I think I'm drowning - this sea is killing me.
Sisters of Mercy - "Marian" - NOBODY
21. You see the bow, and the belt, and the girl from the South. All favorites of mine. You know them all well.
Tori Amos - "Here. in my Head" - szkradz
22. You won't be happy with me, but give me one more chance - you won't be happy anyway!
Magnetic Fields - "100,000 Fireflies" - quietjenn
a. There's a bright one caught your fancy eye.
b. It's a light you're after, 'cause light moves faster.
Mirah - "Cold Cold Water" -
got this and I missed it!
24. Planets spin around your head - milk and sugar in my bed -
Lush - "Fantasy" - greycat
a. I can still remember you with coronets, white horses.
b. I've burned one hundred photographs or more.
The Tear Garden - "Romulus and Venus" - NOBODY
26. What do I get out of this? I always try. I always miss.
New Order - "Subculture" - missv
a. There's a train I want to catch, but it won't leave here for a while.
b. Looking like the spring, like the winter, and the morning...
Belle and Sebastian - "Waiting for the Moon to Rise" - NOBODY
a. You were barking at a bear.
b. I miss her little kitty touch.
Nellie McKay - "Ding Dong" - NOBODY
29. How does lemur skin reflect the sea?
Pixies - "Velouria" - robotazalea
30. Look into your glovebox heart.
R.E.M. - "Star Me Kitten" - abbeyrd
31. Give me your eyes that I might see the blind man kissing my hands.
The Cure - "A Strange Day" - suburbangoth
32. I would never want to leave this country, where roads are fast, and knowledge, easy.
Kitchens of Distinction - "Drive That Fast" - kateherself
a. Why can't you see you torture me? You're already thinking about someone else.
b. You know it'll turn you on.
The Descendents - "Hope" - NOBODY
a. He got old like everyone. Was he somebody's son?
b. I know he's dead, and I know what he said, but I think I know what he might mean.
Rasputina - "Mr. E. Leon Rauis" - NOBODY
35. Now watch what you say, or they'll be calling you a radical....
Supertramp - "The Logical Song" - missv
a. If I'm having fun then it's breaking your heart.
b. I went to a party last night... what sick things I saw.
Jawbreaker - "Bad Scene, Everyone's Fault" - NOBODY
a. And fingres faire for to folde - God wolde she were mine.
b. Send thou me my sweting.
In all likelihood nobody will get this one. It's "Blow, Northern Wind"
by the Mediaeval Baebes
38. The less room you give me, the more space I've got.
Bjork - "Alarm Call" - szkradz
39. You will all go directly to your respective Valhallas.
Tom Lehrer - "We Will All Go Together When We Go" - sanpaku
40. This'll be the last time I ever do your hair.
Scissor Sisters - "Laura" - missv